Video Blog #028 - Dataman S4 Programmer Restoration
DISCLAIMER: This video is educational only, so if you decide to do the same yourself then you are on your own, I can't be held responsible for any problems/issues/damage/injury that may occur if you decide to follow this blog and try it yourself.
I purchased a "Solartron S4 Programmer" which appeared to be a much modified Dataman S4 Programmer. In this video I tear it apart with a view to restoring the S4 back to it's former glory, just as it left the Dataman factory.
Special thanks to Dataman for the replacement housing!
Dataman Website (world leading device programmers) - http://www.dataman.com
- 128k to 512k ram upgrade installed - K6T4008C1B-DB55 512Kx8 bit Low Power CMOS Static RAM IC.
- Button cell battery replaced and working.
- Library installation tested. Reading from eprom and via serial cable to PC both working.
- S4WinDriver PC app working, luckily my PC motherboard has a serial port (COM1).
1. One idea I do have is to design my own ATMEL328P device adaptor for the S4, perhaps by building a bridge between the S4 and a selected device, and the Atmel328P chip itself. The S4 does support ISP but whether it will support the 328P via another device is to be seen!